The Church of St. Patrick, Rushwee
In his history (Diocese of Meath: Ancient and Modern) Fr. Anthony Cogan states that Rushwee chapel was built by Father O'Hanlon (1795-1823). Tradition tells that this chapel was thatched until 1838, when it was slated. On the "Night of the Big Wind", in 1939, it was the only building in the locality left undamaged.
In 1958, Fr.Frank Moran P.P.(1945 -1963) made improvements to the church.
Heretofore, entrance to the choir gallery was by a flight of stone steps, and by a door on the outside of the building. This door was closed and the stone steps removed. New stairs were put in place to give access to the gallery from within the church. The work was carried out by John Reilly, Stackallen, now deceased.
In 1997, a project to have both Rushwee church and Grangegeeth church painted and decorated was put in place. Scaffolding was erected and the work began on Rushwee Church on June 23rd.
(Each pic. on this page has a useful link)
Stained Glass Windows of the Church
Click each window to enlarge
Concelebrated Mass in Rushwee
Gernonstown Old Church Click for link