SCHOOLS: Past and Present
At his visitation of Rathkenny in 1799 Dr. Plunkett, bishop of Meath, offered " congratulations on the male and female schools established and supported by Baron Hussey and his Lady"
The Education Report of 1826 states that 20 Catholic children attended school at Rathkenny in a house built of lime and stone. It was erected by subscription in 1810.
The same report mentions a school held in the chapel of Rushwee and attended by forty four children and a school held in the chapel of Grangegeeth. It was attended by one Protestant and thirty one Catholics. There was also a school at Gernonstown held in a room in a mud cabin. A sum of five pounds was " paid to the master by subscription of Catholics for educating poor children of their Communion". The Report of 1835 mentions a hedge school at Rathkenny, opened in 1834 where the children were taught reading, writing, spelling and catechism. A national school was opened in Creewood in 1833.A school at Grangegeeth came under the Education Board in 1840.
In 1969 Creewood and Grangegeeth schools were amalgamated. Special buses were commissioned to transport children, inconvenienced by the closures, to their new school venue at Stackallen.
St. Louis National School
School Rd., Rathkenny, Navan, Co. Meath
Miriam Coogan - Principal
St. Patrick's National School
Stackallen, Slane, Co. Meath.
James Hoey - Principal